Wednesday, October 3, 2012

London wrap up

I am just back from Phantom and it was phantastic.  I really enjoyed it--I went to several "events' while I was here, but this was the best.  I went to the newly restaged Les Mis, a big band concert, an organ concert at St Martins in the Fields, and a baroque concert at Oxford, but this was the most engaging.   It is one thing to hear a CD of the exact same thing but entirely another to see it staged so well.  It was fun, and I am glad I went.

I am almost cultured out.  I went to both the National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery.  I went and saw a great show at the Tate on the Pre-Raphaelites, and very weird exhibits at the Tate Modern.  There is a big photo month going on, and as I wandered from place to place, I  tried to go to as many of these shows, small and large, as I could find.  I guess I am looking for inspiration or my muse, though they remain elusive.  Like I said, I am ALMOST cultured out.  I forget sometimes how much I like seeing things like this.  Once again, another reason why I probably travel alone...few would tolerate a trip like this.

I ate what I wanted, drank what I wanted and pretty much did what I wanted to do.  I think London is a comfort stop because I am so familiar with the city, even after all these years.  That is fun--I wasn't lost or stressed about getting anywhere.  The days were long, but good.

Now it is on to Spain.  I am far less certain about this part of the trip.  An adventure to be sure, but a bit scarier.  I will have different tales for sure.  And maybe in Spanish!

No comments: