Friday, October 5, 2012

Spain !

I am sitting here drinking coffee, watching the sun rise over the Mediterranean Ocean.  How is that for an opening line?  Truly a wonderful place so far, and I am glad that I made the trip.  If nothing else, the weather is a heck of a lot better than London!  It was a long trip here, with delays and transport challenges, but it is fantastic so far.  Last night was a night of catching up and oddly enough, drinking and eating.  Spanish cheese and meats and tomatoes that I suspect were not grown hydroponically.  I have to tell my friends that I do apparently like Spanish wine, but not the kind you get in Minnesota.

I am staying with an old friend, or rather, a friend who I have known for a long time.  While we have not seen each other but a few times since UWEC in the 1990s and at best talk via email a few times, if that,   per year, it is comfortable and fun to be here with her and her people.  She is working and I am catching up on work and notes while luxuriating in her top floor flat that really does look over the ocean.  Sea breezes indeed!

Now that the light is better, I am going to go walk along the ocean and then try and figure out how to get downtown.  This is not fair--while I might manage figuring out signs in Spanish, most signs here are in Catalonian, with different endings and spellings.  If you don't hear from me it is because I am lost and perhaps I might not want to be found!

No comments: