Sunday, May 31, 2015

Verdant meadows


I remember  a song  from Madtigals, though incompletely, that talks about verdant meadows.  Was it Handel?  Though the reference is obscure, the reference to verdant spaces is very relevant.  We have had a lot of rain, though thankfully not as much as Texas.  To say things are green may be an understatement.  The woods and fields glow green, which is good.

I moved into my house one year ago this weekend and thus became a Michigander.  It hasn't been a bad year so I won't complain.  I guess it has been similar to the traditional housewarming gift.  Ideally that is gift of bread, salt, vinegar, and honey.  Bread and salt to sustain a household, and vinegar and honey to represent the good and the hard that besets any household.  I am (and continue to be)  sustained, and life continues to produce its bitter and its sweet.  I will say that I am more sustained than not, and that my life is more sweet than bitter.  I can only wish that for any who might be reading this.  This has been a good year, overall so thank you to all who have helped it be good.

So I celebrate life in it's verdancy.  And yes, that is a word.  Green is good, said Kermit and countless others.  Let's hope for another year based on sustainance, the bitter, and the sweet.

The green lush scene is the Au Sable river at Mead's Landing.

No comments: