Sunday, May 24, 2015

Who Knew?







That I have spring allergies is pretty well known--there are usually weeks when I either sound like a cartoon character with a stuffed up nose, have a Kleenex glued to my nose, or my eyes look like I smoked a lot of dope.  This year has been worse than usual, but I chalked that up to a new area and new plants.  Friday, though, was a new high (or low) for this.  I can only vaguely remember days like this, before the better allergy drugs.  Like prom night my senior year.  Why her parents let me take their daughter out or for that matter, why she went with me still boggles the mind.  I was a mess.

As I was on Friday.  I had been taking drugs as directed but still, something was in the air, and it wasn't love.  I stumbled and sniffled and blew my way through a very busy day, then bought more and different drugs on my way home.  Nothing helped.  I suffered through the night and tried to be vertical on Saturday.  I almost made it when I ran into the bees or wasps.  I went to move my wheelbarrow and disturbed them and got nailed twice, once just below my eye and one just below my chiseled jaw.

It was apparently more than my challenged immune system could handle because in 20 minutes I had  lumps the size of ping pong balls and they were still growing.  Ahh, Benadryl, sweet Benadryl.  I quickly approached the maximum dose and when I awoke from my Benadryl coma, my face had stopped growing. I still could barely see out one eye and I looked like I had a tennis ball in my mouth, but hey, it might have been an improvement.  I had called the Nurse Hotline and they said I was doing what I should, and as long as I was breathing I didn't need to do anything else.  Maybe they said it a little differently, but that is what I heard.  By this morning I was "normal" though I am still very sensitive to whatever is blooming out there.

So somethings just didn't and aren't getting done.  Mowing, for example, or shoveling and moving dirt.  Or really, anything outside.  Even driving to town made me want to go back into my HEPA controlled house.  Man, I love spring.  I am hoping for a bit of rain to calm things down--there are parades and such to go to.  First I have to wake up from another Benadryl-inspired nap...

No comments: