Tuesday, March 11, 2014

An evening walk








I had just a few minutes for a walk today after eight or nine hours of interviews.  The day went well perhaps because I might have been more coherent because of some uninterrupted sleep.  Truly people are great.  I met students today and I noted that they are the University's secret weapon for recruiting.  They are bright, charming, curious, interested and interesting, and every one has an amazing story on how they made it to this place.  It is transformational here which is a real draw of this place.

I went to a grocery store, something that I always try and do when I travel.  I can't think of how many students rolled their eyes when they saw that on my list of things to do, but you really can learn a lot in  a grocery store.  I stopped for that reason but I also needed bottled water and I was hungry for something salty, probably because it is has been in the high-80s/low 90s and i have been genteelly sweating my way through the interviews and through a suit and a tie.  I am a terrible traveler--I did end up with water but I also ended up with Pringles.  Yep, Pringles.  I have no idea where they were made as my (whatever the language the package is in) is a bit rusty, but they taste similar to what I have heard they taste like, and they are salty.  Mission accomplished.

The photos are street shots.  There are several of commerce that line (and fill the streets.  The street vendor would roast any of about a dozen different kind of nuts and seeds.  Tempting.  The children are my new friends who insisted on getting their photo taken.  Traffic was much heavier this late in the day and it showed in one of the photos.  The more rural scene is the future site for the University.  When fund raising permits, the University will move to the edge of the city.

Maybe more tomorrow, though I start home and rewind the long journey already.

No comments: