Friday, April 18, 2014

Day two...














You know, I think I planned pretty well for this trip.  Unlike some trips where I forgot various sundries, I didn't forget anything that I have noticed so far.  But I did forget that spring comes a bit earlier this far south.  While I don't start sniffling and rubbing my eyes until about the middle of May in Minnesota, I realized today that indeed I do still have seasonal allergies.  By the time I got to Phoenix I was…wait, I am in the wrong country song.  By the time I reached Taos I was a mess.  I made it to a drugstore for, well, drugs, got to a hotel and crashed for an hour while they did their work.  That explains the early post and the added bonus that I can see and breathe.

I started today in Santa Fe and headed north to Las Vegas, the other Las Vegas, the one in New Mexico.  The drive was great--it kind of reminds me in places like the Great Smokey Mountains except that the hills/mountains are different, the sky is way different, there are different trees, and there aren't as many people.  So pretty much exactly the same!  It was still a nice morning drive.

Actually, Las Vegas is kind of a nice little town.  I was there by about 8, in time for breakfast at Charlie's Spic and Span Cafe, and the day went on from there.  I actually spent three hours wandering around and found several fun pictures.  And, I almost got arrested!  The Coke sign was from a drugstore that was turned into a bank--it was too good of a sign to get rid of and they still call it the Murphey building so they kept it.  I loved the sign, but had to wait for  probably 30-40 minutes until someone walked into the scene.  So for about 30-40 minutes, there was this stranger with a pretty big camera pointed at the bank.  Odd that it did, but it did raise a concern or two, and sure enough, two of Las Vegas's finest had a little chat with me.  Cool. I showed them what I was doing and avoided the hoosegow.

After wandering around a bit more, I headed for Taos.  There are many ways to get there, but I took Highway 518 from Las Vegas to Taos.  What a drive.  I am not sure that I would like it in the winter, but in the spring it was very nice and I bet in the fall it is spectacular.  I stopped for about an hour at the Agua Piedra barrier-free rest stop and I believe it was well spent.  I think it reminded me that there are many ways to reflect and compose yourself on a Good Friday.  The stream was perfectly in tune, and rills that filled the stream from the mountain snows added counter-punctual harmony.  What a wonderful way to spend an afternoon.

Now I am sitting in my hotel room eating a dinner that is pretty funny.  I have some good Tillimook cheese and thin sliced ham, since it is almost Easter, you know.  I am eating it on Matzo crackers as they were on sale--the Jewish community isn't as big as the grocery store anticipated, I guess, but it is Passover, you know.  They are pretty good, though I am sure I need to apologize to some higher authority for the ham.  I tried to wash it down with some New Mexican wine, but I just couldn't make that work--the wine industry in the state is a bit less refined than I had hoped.  Wow, and yuk.

Tomorrow I will explore Taos and the area, and I am looking forward to that.  I am finding that I like each town or city the smaller they are--Santa Fe is nice, so Taos should be even nicer.

No comments: