Saturday, April 19, 2014

It's all about the color






Because of inclement weather, I had to take a break to dry out.  I spent most of the day near the Plaza and was in a shopping mode.  While there is a lot of Native American art that isn't, there is a higher percentage of better quality art here in Taos.  In some of the paintings you can't even see the numbers.

I know, I am kind of a snob about this stuff.  Some of the painting is great, but some of it would be classified by my more artistic friends as "sofa art."  "Hey, let's make our living room look Southwest this year.  OK, but we are going to need a painting over the sofa with a blue sky and an impressionistic take on a pueblo/adobe building.  Maybe we can find one with a person in a serape--wouldn't that be great!"  Wow, that is harsh…I did see some stuff that was amazing, but priced out my budget by a long shot.  I did find several pieces of pottery of one sort or another that I could afford, including two older pieces.  They are small pieces but they are nice and they fit my shelf space and my wallet.

I don't know if today was a good day for pictures, but I did notice that it is all about the color around here.  A shade of blue is used everywhere, and I am certain that it isn't available from a store.  I think that it needs to be painted on a door or a car and then seasoned for a decade or two in the sun around here and then it turns this fantastic shade of blue.  The best example is the blue door.  The other photos just show some splashes of color that I saw around town.

No comments: