Thursday, September 27, 2012

Last stateside blog

This is the last day before vacation, and I have to say that I have had better.  You know when you are evaluating something or someone, it is good to not just make a decision based on one observation.  You would hope for a range of days both good and bad to see a more full and complete picture.  All I can hope is that who ever is evaluating me looks at the whole picture and that range of days and skips this one...

First off, I was sick, adding to my sleeplessness.  I really didn't need that, as I was supposed to be in the Cities for an important training opportunity.  Alas, there was no way I was going to sit in a room with a binder of information for 9 hours.  In missing that, I disappointed myself because I really wanted and needed this training.  I also no doubt didn't please my boss, who was here learning what I should have been learning.

More than that, I have been especially heavy footed around the people that I care about, and less than easy to travel along life's paths with.  That is a pretty nice way to say I am and have been a Pain in the A__. I ask too much, I don't listen, I am obtuse and obstreperous, and, not to mention,  a bother. And those are just the nice things!   I struggle with exactly why, though that is the least of the concerns considering the costs and impact of my stumbling.  It is both a very good thing to be gone for 2 weeks, but it will also be a very very hard thing as I know I left things unbalanced, unsaid, and uncomfortable.  Plus, I do honestly think I am going to be lonesome.  Despite generally being pretty good about being alone and not lonesome, I am worried about this one.   I have traveled often to far away lands by myself in the past 15 years, probably 20 times.  (Please refrain from the commentary on that sad fact of my life) But most of the time I was a bit more tethered to things and people and more certain about where and who I was.  I usually traveled and blogged  a more definite and known audience than I believe I have at this point.   So this should be interesting.  I am intrinsically motivated for this and most things in my life but mustering up that might be a bit harder this journey

So what did I do tonight?  I ran.  I have been close to a lots of people in my life, and I can honestly say that no one ever has heard me utter the thought or words, "I am struggling a bit tonight, I think I will run."  But run I did.  It was an unexpected run as I have missed the past few days and hadn't planned on running tonight.  It did and I did go well.  I ran 3.5 miles in 45 minutes and for only the second time since 9th grade, I ran a whole mile without stopping.  And, my mile was a PR by almost two whole minutes--I ran a mile in 12.10 in the middle of my run/walk.  Not as fast as Steve Scott, the other one, but for me it was mile(stone) worth noting.

I bet most of my exercise will be walking, but that is OK.  I have to do something to keep my boyish figure in the face of fish and chips and an odd pint or two.  My adventure has gained an adventure, as I will "go to Barcelona for the weekend."  I have a friend there and we have talked and joked about this since the 1990s--it is time enough to do this.  I get to London on Saturday AM, and most likely will post something on Saturday night.  Please note that I am SHARING pictures and words with you.  That does imply some level of an exchange for it to be considered sharing.  Please do your part.

No comments: