Sunday, September 30, 2012

London 2

It is fairly late, and I am back "home" for the day.  Today was one of those unplanned days that turned out well.  I bought my ticket for Phantom last night for the "next available" matinee, thinking it was today, Sunday.  It is actually Thursday.  Gee, you think that I should have read the date on the ticket?

But I took a long walk getting there, and I wanted to hang out in the neighborhood.  Later today they had a show at the same theater that I stayed for by the Nick Ross Orchestra.  It was a classic big band orchestra, and it was a blast.  It focused on the sounds of the WWII era, and it was entertaining from when the first baton dropped  to the last echo of applause.  Without it was one of the best shows I have ever been to.  Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, you name it rocked the hall.  With a siren singing along, all you really needed was a crowd in uniform to be in 1943.

While the music was enchanting, more so was the audience.  There were more than 100 WWII veterans in the crowd, and they were adorable.  They were all so little, as the past 80-some years have worn them down, and probably more wearing was the 6 years of war that some endured.  When asked, they danced in the aisle, cheek to cheek, many with tears shining on their faces.  I will tell you what, there wasn't a dry eye in the audience.  After the set there was applause for the band, but there was cheering for the dancers.  Of course. I am the guy who cries at Disney movies--this view of real life was heart rending.  What have they lived through?  What has their life been like, and what stories could they share?   It was an amazing scene that I wouldn't have traded for anything.

I ate at Wagamamas, one of my very favorite places to eat ever.  Katsu Curry Chicken was my first Wagamama meal 14 years ago was my meal tonight, and honestly, it was just as good.  How fun.  All I could think about were the people who I have shared meals with at this place.  Kind of amazing, really.

I have been to London a lot, and one of my concerns was that I would just be seeing London again or seeing new things in London.  I think all the changes that have taken place since I was last here make it hard to have the same experiences that I had in the past.  I think that coming to London is like heading to the river--it is different every time, because of changes and because it is just so big.  Last time I was here, for example, I don't recall seeing a Starbucks--now they are as common as Bureau de Change shops and Angus Steak houses.  But I also realize that I have changed a great deal since I was here last.  Some of it even for the better!.  I watch more, listen more, and interact differently.  I suppose it is kind of a different confidence.  I think back to being nervous on the the Underground and the feelings that I had experienced.  Today, I tackled four different lines without a blink.  Small thing, but indicative of other changes.  'Bout time I grew up, eh?

It does change how I travel by myself.  I think that in the past 7 years, I have been more self-reliant, despite some people's view of me, than I have ever been.  That helps when traveling.  But also, I have chosen to be reliant more on other people because it is easier (and a hell of a lot more fun).  Taveling alone is finding the right balance of this.

It does make this an interesting.  Who knows what tomorrow will bring.  Can't wait!

No comments: