Saturday, September 1, 2012

New things


From my iPhone...it tasted better than this looks...

As mentioned in a previous post, I am in the midst of creating new pathways and new ways of doing things, and today was no exception.  I am almost finished moving, and moved about 22 boxes of books and  other things today.  Only my "garage stuff" remains, and that is only because I broke my key off in the garage door lock.  Ooops.  I had told people that the door was not working, and they said just turn harder.  So I did.  So, a little more forbearance and patience, for I will soon be in one place.  It was kind of an adventure--I was a de facto cat sitter today and experienced a really sick cat with projectile everything.  Yuck.  Not fun cleaning that up, but one new thing was giving a cat a bath.  Let's just say neither one of us was very happy, and the cat least of all.  I do understand now why that task isn't high on anyone's list--that was one angry cat

I tried to do a lot of things differently, and skipped the big breakfast, worked hard and fast to move, even with the necessary flights of stairs.  I even ran/walked today, which is surprise enough for me and others who know me, but everyone will be more surprised to know that this was the fifth time this week.  Certainly not fast, sometimes not even brisk, but it is new thing.  Since I am so sleek and built for speed, I am sure I will be doing a marathon in a few weeks.  Nah, I doubt that, but it doesn't even hurt that bad and, as they say, when it does, "it's a good hurt."

I thought a lot about dinner tonight--I obviously have too much time on my hands but that is ok.  I wanted to avoid going out and wanted to eat either semi-healthy or at least, eat really good food.  Sometimes the two come together, and tonight was when it did.  I made risotto, something I have never done.  Well, actually I made it twice tonight.  The first time it looked like fried rice because I burned the onions and garlic (fresh) while sautéing.  I will blame a new stove.  It was much much better the second time and this time it was creamy and lovely--I can't believe I have never made it before.  I sautéed three huge fresh (ok, they were fresh-frozen--it is Minnesota) scallops and steamed broccoli and even tried a new wine, 14 Hands Reisling.  All in all a new favorite meal.

So why do all this new stuff?  Well, some of it I have to and have no choice.  Boo, but that is life.  Other new things are simply the right things to do.  Cleaning cat poo meant someone wouldn't have to when they got home, and maybe, the little poo foot prints on a new sofa wouldn't be permanent.  I need to exercise more even if it is just walking.  And there is a difference between "boil-in-a-bag" risotto and the risotto you stir and stir yourself.  New things take time and work, but they can be good things.

I wonder what will be new tomorrow.



No comments: