Friday, September 21, 2012

Running and other such nonsense

Some of you have commented (and some have laughed in disbelief) that I have mentioned that I am running.  Well, running is a bit of a stretch, but for sure I am moving more and faster than I have for a long time.  Certainly I have not made it to the marathon stage, and frankly, I doubt I will.  But it is not nearly as painful as it was a month ago, and now I actually find that if I don't run, I miss it.

And then I saw some pigs fly, and man, was in cold in hell today!  I know, you scoffers!  Really, I am running and semi-enjoying it.  I don't know if you can say I am a runner at this point.  A friend who sometimes blogs about her runs asked that kind of question once, and it is interesting.  That Descartes guy said, I think, therefore I am.  So can I say, I run, therefore I am a runner?  Or should I just more accurately say I am just a bit less fat, slightly faster 52 year old?  Perhaps I am both.

Like I said, I am not going for a marathon or any record time.  It is interesting how obsessed you can get with time and distance.  I feel like I should log every minute and mile, but that is silly.  I do note my PR's.  That is PR for Personal Record for you more sedentary types.  This is funny, since I have no  past running times or at least none from the past 37 years, I am just wracking up my PR's.  Today, for example, I ran two miles in 25.40.  Now have you ever noticed that runners never round up, but they count every second to their favor?  That is several minutes faster than I have done this distance since 9th grade.  This weekend, I am going to set my PR for three miles, which should be pretty easy since I have never thundered along for three whole miles.  My goal?  Sub 42 minutes.  I will let you know, if you want.

Yep, there is a lot of satisfaction in all of this, and I feel a whole lot safer, too.  Yep, if that bear starts chasing me, and wants to race two miles, I have a chance.  When that rouge wave from the nearby Sauk River races towards my house, if it is less than five miles an hour, I will be able to outrace it.  Wow, do I feel better.

Actually, I do feel better.  I know this is good for me, and I do see/feel some differences.  I am sure no one is mistaking my sleek form for one ready for spandex or racing gear but I can tell, and that is part of what all this is about.  That, and avoiding waves and bears.

No comments: