Sunday, September 23, 2012

Risotto and other things

OK, I made risotto again tonight.  I learned a few things--first, there is a difference between white onions and yellow onions and there is a difference between sauted' and browned when it comes to onions and garlic.

But I still have other questions.  I am guessing/finding out that there is a difference between lighter virgin olive oil and darker virgin olive oil--is it the difference in their "smoke/burn" l evel  Does it take better olive oil?  I had to start over tonight because I toasted the onions and garlic and the rice was too brown  in color.

Tonight's rice was great--soft, creamy, and very flavorful.  But what can I do to make it better?  I don't know how long to cook it before adding more broth.  How/when do  I add mushrooms, cheese,  or eggs?  All these questions.  No matter, it was still a fantastic meal.  I waited until the rice was almost done, pushed it all to the side, and then fried or scrambled a few eggs for some protein.  It really was good.  Smooth, soft creamy rice with great flavor.  It was almost restaurant quality   But I think that I can do more with this.  I actually like the process that takes at least 45 minutes.   No matter, it still beats the boil in the bad kind.

Any ideas are welcome.


PS.  I didn't make the sub-42 minute time.  Rather I ran/walked 4.5 miles in 60 minutes.  Long and uncomplainingly slow is good, too, right?

No comments: